MTC

MTC
Elder Josh Garff

Monday, July 4, 2016

Happy Fourth of July!

I'm Proud to be an American, God Bless America!
(I am convinced, however, that Tahiti was a close second in the election for "Promised Land")
Probably the theme of every missionary serving right now, but it'll be my only chance to say it before I get back!

I hope that everyone is enjoying all of the parades and all of the music! Here, the entire month is a party! It is definitely interesting to see how all of Polynesia has shut down due to the "Heiva".  We party hard in America, but Tahitians party long and hard. Which makes missionary work a little difficult, but still, we had a lot of success today and were still able to do a lot of work with our members and investigators!

I don't have a lot of time today, so it'll be a little brief, but I love this area! The land of my mission fathers and companions! I have run into people who have loved my old companions (Elder Borgholthous, Elder Webber) and it has inspired me to do the best I can here, to have a legacy like theirs!
I was told that by French and Tahitian pronunciation was bad, so I have to read the Book of Mormon in the 2 languages with a pencil shoved in my mouth as punishment.  Thanks Elder Hauata:)
For the 4th of July, I'll send pictures of our American party next week!

Funny Moment: Definitely will go to our dogs. I'll take a picture next week, but every night, we have 2 dogs who wait for us to give them food. There is a black one, Lasson, and a shriveled brown one, named Gollum. Gollum literally moves like Gollum and I love every night watching the two ha ha ha!
Chao Pao
Culture Shock: I will give it this week to the Chao Pao! It is a little bread ball with things inside of it. Our last P-Day, we learned how to make chocolate Chao-Pao! Literally a bread ball stuffed with Nutella!
A little grapefruit too - it can't all be chocolate Chao-Pao I guess
Spiritual Thought: As we were driving to the church this morning, Elder Paulsen and I blasted patriotic songs. The Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing Battle Hymn of the Republic was close to getting us in accidents (as I got carried away in Patriotism behind the wheel!). but, as I was driving, I thought about how lucky we are to live in America. No offense to other countries, but America is my home, and America is the land of promise of the Lord. As I have spent my last 13 months in Tahiti, I have thought of how many things we are lucky enough to have in America, and how blessed we all truly are. I am grateful for the noble and great ones who helped this country be a God fearing and blessed country. To men like Abraham Lincoln, George Washington, James Polk, I salute you. And, as the scriptures counsel, if we keep the commandments we will be prospered in this land. With Helen Keller, I add my testimony that the world isn't just moved by the mighty shoves of mighty people, but by the little pushes of each honest worker. I add my salute to each one of you in America who keep the commandments. You are as big of heroes as our leaders, and thanks to you, we all can prosper in this great land.

I'm proud to be an American, God bless America!

(But a 2 year mission in Tahiti has me convinced that Tahiti was a close second in the election for "Promised Land")

Elder Garff

No comments:

Post a Comment